20 Facts: Julien LaFontaine
on March 13, 2013 at 12:00 pm
Posted In: Blog
I don’t draw Jules enough. I always forget that he’s a pretty good-looking guy.
- Julien grew up with his businesspeople parents in luxury in La Defense, Paris. He’s used to the finer things in life and struggles when he has to rough it – not because he’s a snob, but because he genuinely doesn’t know what to do.
- He loves doing research and is heavily involved in his dissertation a lot of the time. It makes him seem aloof, but he’s really just buried in primary sources and his mind is swimming.
- When it comes to the supernatural, he’s a total skeptic.
- He loves dessert of all kinds and gets extremely excited when it’s mentioned. He’s immediately at peace once he’s eaten it.
- Julien works best if he’s listening to Depeche Mode.
- Julien drives a Ford Ka, a tiny Ford city car, even though his parents are extremely wealthy and own several luxury vehicles and supercars, including a Bugatti Veyron. This is because he’s afraid to drive anything powerful. His parents were grooming him to become a Formula 1 driver, but at the age of sixteen he was involved in a horrible racing accident involving several cars. Although he didn’t cause the accident and came out okay, seeing one of his fellow racers temporarily end up in a coma traumatized him, and he stopped racing.
- He’s needed glasses since he was about eight.
- He can be in quite the sour mood if he doesn’t get his daily dose of macaroons.
- He loves going to museums and takes a certain pride in the artists from his native France.
- Julien’s summer vacations as a boy frequently included trips to North Africa – he’s been to Morocco, Algiers and various locations in Egypt.
- Because he comes across as being very serious, Julien is Armo’s most frequent practical joking target. He has what could best be described as a ‘mildly tormented’ relationship with the Finn.
- He really loves old movies, especially silents.
- Nobody else at the historical society gets his sense of humor, which occasionally frustrates him.
- He gets flustered when he doesn’t know what to do in a real world situation. Money doesn’t teach you those things.
- He dresses in business casual at the historical society even though they don’t have to dress up to go to work. He’s proper, he thinks.
- Besides dessert, he also loves cheese, which allows him to bond with LaGuardia of all people.
- Julien finds the concept of fast food immensely disturbing. He once threw up after seeing the “food” they serve at 7-Eleven.
- He enjoys riding his bike. Not only does it lack a powerful engine, thus making him safe, but it also counts as exercise.
- Julien enjoys reading classic literature and is a big fan of Victor Hugo.
- When he travels, he actively seeks out pastry shops to get the best desserts wherever he goes.